.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, May 22, 2005

The Emergence of Summer

So, I've finished my first full year at Harding University. Like I've told everyone, I'm not in love with it like a majority of its students are, but then I'm not disdainful of it either. I share a sort of lukewarm relationship with Searcy. I already sort of miss it after living a week in Dothan. Needless to say, I was sort of glad to get out of there in one piece. The whole essence of the place tasted as if you had just crammed this huge slice of wedding cake in your mouth and then trying to read, or drive, or even talk or pray. All the while during these normal functions you have this gigantic piece of wedding cake in your mouth. Which ironically, after digesting it all and wiping the icing off the face, its got me reminiscing, and looking forward to my next plate.
I have been blessed in getting to know alot of good friends through Harding. But it seems that more people know me than I them. Or at least they've heard about me. It was last Monday, I was over by the punch bowl in my leisure suit. It was the wedding of my roommate. The same roommate that spent his nights fast asleep above me, while I on the bottom bunk lay there until sleep finally fell upon me. The punchbowl girl poured me a glass and introduced herself. We got to talking and it was revealed that I was "The Ruskie" whom she had heard so much about. This girl apparantly was a student at Harding, though I don't recall ever laying eyes on her. The title "The ruskie" is what my roommates and their whole intellegentsia group like to refer to me as because I had lived so long in Russia. Later, different family members of the wedding couple came up to me saying, "Oh, so this is the ruskie whom we have heard talked about." But to be absolutely honest, I do not know if such news is positive or negative. But I guess, even slightly negative attention can be not all that bad. At least one can know that a year of his life has had some significance. And now I hope to have only a semester left and I will be a college grad, if that means anything.
I made it back in Dothan for the arrival of summer. My sister, Brittney, as usual was in the midst of her social life. -And I hopped right in. For some reason or other for which I can't explain, we Harrison siblings have quite the reputation. Whenever two or more of us gather, you know something wild, unpredictable, and spontaneous is about to occur. So for some reason the other night, Brittney, three of her friends, myself, and my friend Jovan, all ended up pulling some humorous prank on some luckless soul that happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. I would get into all this but, I'm afraid it would take too long to describe. It just involved toilet paper, an anonymous letter, car chases and spur-of-the-moment innovation, things that we Harrisons take pride in. I guess to quote a similiar notorious family description, "we're just the good ole boys (and girl), never meanin' no harm. Beats all you ever saw, been in trouble with the law since the day they were born."-Waylon Jennings.
Speaking of "trouble with the law" and crazy car stunts. I don't have a driver's license now. It's been suspended for the past month. And I won't get it back until July 7th. I got too many speeding tickets in a year. So the law, believe it or not, took away my license for awhile. Of course, this has happened to my brother also. Such an event is not entirely new to the Harrison family. But for awhile, this prompted no hindrance. As stupid as this may sound, I still drove while in Arkansas, just being a bit more careful, because I didn't want to go to jail which would happen if I got caught. But now, I am absolutely without a vehicle. My dad came up to Searcy and gave me a ride back to Alabama. We towed my car back for the engine is making some ugly sounds and now my little white Honda is in some shop up in Birmingham, while I sit at home without a vehicle in Dothan. But not for long, for I am about to head up to Nashville tomorrow riding with my sister. And there I'm to board a plane and head for New York City and meet my friend Ryan from Washington, and then after gallivanting around the Big Apple for 2 days we take a train up to Canada for our friend, Jeremy's big day. So, I'm looking forward to this coming week and I should have lots to write about.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jovan said...

I should transcribe the voice mail message i recieved that night... but i won't.

Thanks for not giving me any of the creative credit. I am completely innocent. I was forced to be there at gun point. Toilet paper is meant for... well the toilet room - or "Turlet" if your down south.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home