.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, August 11, 2006

A Symbolism in the Waters; Dealings with the Past

Just last week, I went deep-sea fishing for the first time. Mr. Henderson and I struck out across the smooth Floridian waters. On the drive down, we talked about buried pirate treasure and wrecked galleons. We rode out as far as 15 miles, no land in sight. And there admist the blue ecstatic movement, we dropped our lines...down, down, it fell...that sound of the reel letting go which can only be heard when fishing. The line stops slacking. The bait's at the bottom of the sea. What lurks hidden from the surface and from the skies? I think to myself as the boat sways on the waves, "To reach another year of age, to be alive and far out to sea. I should feel freer than I do." You don't let the bait pause for too long; you begin turning the reel again pulling the bait back up through the mysterious waters. There's barracudas circling stealthily under the boat. They wait for that fish being reeled up from the depths and with a flash of silver in a darting swoop they feast on that already confused fish. Hook in mouth, and eaten from behind the finned-creature plops down on the deck of the boat wondering how a plain-looking cigar minnow could bring him to an end.

Eventually, a barracuda's captured and we haul him over the boat. 4ft and the ugliest thing you've ever seen. Ugliness keeps this small monster away from the transparent light of the day. Ferocity keeps this small monster never entirely hidden in the depths. Examining him on the deck you think "Rejected by light, Rejected by all the other fish, and Rejected by God, no wonder you are so hideous and mean. " They're born, raised, and thrive just on the surface always attacking what you pull up. They have massive teeth and if hooked they'll try to cut the line...fighting and thrashing about. They're never good meat, just a neat beast to look at in the ice box and know that you've wrestled with one.

Mr. Henderson and I went home that day talking about buried treasure and wrecked galleons. Someday we just may find one. But as of this day, so far, the biggest thing those waters have yielded are those fierce creatures with the teeth.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yipes, barracudas! When Aaron Miller told me you were going deep see fishing I feared for your life.

Why, just the other day a devil-marlin impaled some poor kid through the chest! Needless to say, I'm glad you made it out alive.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Brian Harrison said...

Yep, I remember that same day right before we got out on the waters while I was buying my fishing license...I saw that in one of the newspapers in the bait and tackle store. Very gruesome and scary but very very rare also.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Will said...

No more waffling about Waffle House. I demand more stories of grease, paper hats, and late nights.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Brian Harrison said...

All in good time, Will, all in good time. Waffle House stories never loose impact over time...so I can tell those 2 weeks, 3 months, or 1 year from now and they will still be everything that a Waffle House story is supposed to be...timeless. But i'll try to finish those sooner.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Steven Baird said...

chuck the russkie did you perhaps see the island of the day before while searching for galleons

8:19 PM  
Blogger Brian Harrison said...

No, Steven, my luck wasn't that good. I'm saving all my luckiness for that road trip to Las Vegas.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home