.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, December 16, 2005

Graduation Day

Tomorrow I walk. And to sum up my feelings about my entire educational endeavor, I think I am best expressing myself when I write down the lyrics of Bob Dylan's "The Day of the Locusts". Supposedly the story goes, that Bob Dylan was honored by a prestigious university where he was given a PhD for writing the songs that he writes and for being a genius. After the entire ceremony he wrote the following song which is one of my favorites. It's about the state of being bogged down with the cermonial hype and pomp of our educational system, but off in the distance hearing the beauty, wonder, wisdom and call of nature within the sweet rhythms of life itself.

Oh, the benches were stained with tears and
perspiration,
The birdies were flying from tree to tree.
There was little to say, there was no
conversation
As I stepped to the stage to pick up my
degree.
And the locusts sang off in the distance,
Yeah, the locusts sang such a sweet melody.
Oh, the locusts sang off in the distance,
Yeah, the locusts sang and they were singing for
me.
I glanced into the chamber where the judges were
talking,
Darkness was everywhere, it smelled like a
tomb.
I was ready to leave, I was already walkin',
But the next time I looked there was light in the
room.
Outside of the gates the trucks were
unloadin',
The weather was hot, a-nearly 90 degrees.
The man standin' next to me, his head was
exploding,
Well, I was prayin' the pieces wouldn't fall on
me.
I put down my robe, picked up my diploma,
Took hold of my sweetheart and away we did
drive,
Straight for the hills, the black hills of
Dakota,
Sure was glad to get out of there alive.
And the locusts sang, well, it give me a
chill,
Yeah, the locusts sang such a sweet melody.
And the locusts sang with a high whinin'
trill,
Yeah, the locusts sang and they was singing for
me,
Singing for me, well, singing for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

Comgrats on making the walk today. As a teacher, it's always great to see my students graduate.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Jovan said...

Hurry and put up a link to the video. I want to link but i don't want to steal your thunder.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home